Friday, October 19, 2007

Results of autopsy and placenta are IN!

And they are a little odd.

Placenta was perfect. Margaret's organs were all perfect, although her lungs were immature. The odd thing was that there was a lot of thick meconium (unusual for 31 weeks, especially for it to be that thick). The combination of her lungs being immature, the meconium, and me having a lot of fluid makes sense because the iummature lungs would not have been "breathing" in the fluid properly, which would have her producing more urine than fluid going in. In combination with the meconium, the lungs would not be able to function properly with the meconium that was present. Now, what causes those things, since everything else was normal, is unknown.

No chromosome disorders or genetic defects.

The good news is that my chances of this happening again are the same as it would be for anyone else. The SUCK part is that most likely, if she had been born a week prior she would've needed time for her lungs to mature, but in all other ways she would have been fine.

So there it is. Now we know.

The dr I talked to was unsure about the meconium, so much so that she's going to do some research into it and see if she can find anything that might be a cause and let me know. I will probably do some googling myself and see if I can come up with anything.

No comments: