Thursday, August 30, 2007

Mommy, WHAT'S THAT?!?!?


It has actually been raining today (yahoo!) And while it was steadily coming down outside, Natalya and I were baking cookies. Wyatt was looking out the back door at the birds and suddenly, Natalya says, "MOMMY! WHAT'S THAT?!??!" The last time she did this, there was a praying mantis on the window of the door.
I looked around the corner, and there, sitting on the back stoop, eyeball-to-eyeball with Wyatt was a HUMONGOUS woodchuck! I grabbed Wyatt by the collar so he didn't scare it and I was frantically looking around for my camera, while Natalya was saying, "But Mommy! What is IT!?" and I was saying, "It's a...it's a... where's my camera?...it's a ....hedgehog. NO, porcupine. No.... woodchuck!" I wasn't able to get my camera before he ran off, and back down into the culvert behind our house. I did get a very blurry picture with my phone, but it just looks like a big brown blur.
As I called my Mom to tell her of our interaction with wildlife, I looked out the back door, and he was sitting at the edge of the hill, looking back at our back door through the bushes. He was intrigued by Wyatt. And Wyatt by him!
Anyway, I found this picture on the 'net, and this is what he looked like. I can't believe it! A Woodchuck! And he was HUGE!! Probably ten pounds at least.

2 comments:

Julie E. Bloemeke said...

Wild! Do you know we saw one too a few weeks ago and we told the kids it was a muskrat. We all cracked up because P tried to say it and said "muscrap" (which G found HYSTERICAL) Then she tried again and came up with "mudflap." Too funny! J

Earthy Mama said...

mudflap!! HAHAHAHA!!!! Yeah,it took me a while, I was calling it a hedgehog, then a porcupine. Natalya kept saying "Mommy! Where's the hedgehog Porcupine Woodchuck?"
:D