Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Terrific Twos

I am renaming them the "Terrific Twos".

My two year old has definitely turned two. Her moods are up and down and I believe she is trying to drive me crazy. But for every annoying, crazy, irritating, make-me-want-to-pull-out-my-hair moment, there's at least two incredibly cute/funny/sweet things to counter it.

Perfect example: yesterday: we are playing in the living room, coloring, reading books and so forth. I get up to go do laundry and she follows me. And suddenly starts screaming her head off for me to pick her up. Now I am not going to give in to screaming. Once you do that, you're in trouble. But she never just asked me to pick her up, just started screaming. Then, got herself so worked up she was sobbing and snot was dripping down her face, saliva down her chin (she was doing that on purpose, I saw her work up some spit then push it out with her tongue). It was a mess! And the whole time she is screaming so loud I am getting a headache. I am telling her, Natalya, if you want me to pick you up, you need to say, Mommy, please pick me up. I am not going to pick you up while you are screaming. About fifteen minutes later, she gets the picture and asks me to pick her up in her normal, breath hitching, voice. So I did. She's so hot and sweaty at this point, I am getting hot holding her, so I go sit on the couch with her in my lap. She climbs off and starts screaming for me to pick her up again.

*sigh*

She finally realized she could sit on my lap and we could read books quietly, without screaming.

But then yesterday, she also did several extremely cute and funny things. She has learned to climb up on the changing table (great.) and likes to look at the geckoes. So I amchanging out the dogs water and she climbs up, lays on her side, with one arm propped up, and one leg up, like a little adult. She's also wearing her sunglasses. I ask her what she's doing and she turns to me, tips her glasses down on her nose and looks down at me over the rims. I about died. It was so funny.
Then last night, she was talking to Grandma on the phone and was laying on the bed, leaning on the pillow, with one knee crossed over the other, and she's bouncing her foot up and down. My two year old, going on 22. :)

Her new obsession is coming to get me and saying, "Mommy! Come look at [whatever the object of interest is]. Come look, I show you." and grabbing my hand to walk me into the location so I can see said object. The best one was when she said, "Mommy, come look, I show you poo-poo." And walked me into the bathroom- where, she points in her potty, and sure enough- poo-poo!! So then we had to do the poo-poo in the potty happy dance.

It's amazing how life changes when you have children. I now dance over poo.

No comments: