Monday, August 25, 2008

Injection update

Yahoo! The heparin has been approved. :) So much cheaper than the lovenox! I am on day 5 of the injections and they're not too terribly bad. The bruises are no fun- I have a humongous one on my right leg, but I discovered yesterday that if I ice-down the injection site for about 30 minues after the injection, it prevents the majority of the bruising, so I will continue to do that.

I also found out some side issues regarding the disorder, which is technically a mutation in the human MTHFR gene A1298C, one allele, which is that I will have to continue to take mega-high doses of folic acid for the rest of my life b/c my body doesn't process folic acid properly, in addition, I will take one baby aspirin a day, and should I ever have to have surgery of ANY kind, I will probably have to do heparin injections after the surgery to prevent thromboembylism (a clot forming and making its way into lungs/heart or brain.) I also won't be able to take any kind of estrogen therapy, like oral contraceptives or medicines for menopause when I get older.

This particular mutation is known for causing third trimester stillbirth, rather than miscarriage early on in pregnancy. The likelihood that this caused M's loss? Very high.

No comments: