Thursday, August 14, 2008

28-week appointment

Everything looks great! Natalya and my grandmother went with me. (Doug had to work) I am measuring 28.5 weeks and the hb was 145-148, so really good. I was 172 (so down a couple of pounds? but no one comented on it) and my blood pressure was great. I gave her my medical records from M's birth and she said, "so a little light reading before bed?" and laughed, I did too. It's like 100 pages, mostly handwritten and difficult to decipher. She said, "I don't think I'll read this right now" I said, "no, I didn't think so!" hehe.
She said she reviewed the plan and she thinks we are on track. She said she knows with the 31 week mark coming up I'll probably have some anxiety, so feel free to call for anything.

I go back in two weeks for my next visit. I will also have a Biophysical Profile (BPP a.k.a. ultrasound) and then to the office for a NST. I will then go weekly and continue to have the BPPs and NSTs until he is born.

The funny part was- after se wrote up the plan and I left, I went to the front to have the secretary-person make my appointments. She questioned having botht the BPP and the NSt on the same day. She said usually, they do them on alternate days, like you'd go have a BPP and then two days later come back for an NST. She called back to Mavis and Mavis apparently set her straight (ha!). She said, that's just weird, I've never seen that done before. Well, there's a first time for everything right? So then, the mw nurse comes up and says, "we don't do BPPs and NSTs on the same day" and the sec. said, "That's what I said, talk to Mavis about it".
[side note, Mavis is the HEAD of the midwifery department at Vanderbilt University, and teaches/does research four days a week and sees patients one day a week, this is why I was recommended to her and why I decided to continue as her patient. Plus I think she's awesome!]
Jeanette (the nurse) said, "well since she may as well be 'Dr.Schorn' whatever she says goes." and kind of laughed. LOL. Mavis is not a Dr, but I guess she is well-respected enough that her decisions are not questioned. And I love her to death.

So that's the plan. She said she also forwarded all my info to the OB they work with and he agreed with the plan she had set up 100%.

I feel really good about how everything is going, and since Zachary is kicking the daylights out of me constantly, that's good too.

I know that something could technically still happen, but at least we're keeping track of every nook and cranny, so if something out of the ordinary does show up, then we will be able to resolve it right away.

No comments: